We’ve all heard that we need to put on our own oxygen masks first.
But self-care often gets pushed to the bottom of our priority list, if it even makes it on there in the first place.
I think part of the problem is that when people think of self-care, they think of things like massages. Which are awesome. But they are also expensive, and time-consuming.
Self-care can be short and sweet, simple and cheap. Tweet
And when I asked people on Facebook to share their ideas with me for short and simple ideas for self-care, WOW! did they give me lots of great suggestions! So if you’re looking for ideas for how you can nurture yourself even if you’re short on time and money, check out this list!
2. Snuggle up under a warm fuzzy blanket and just sit. Daydream. Wonder. Think.
3. Savor a warm cup of your favorite tea or coffee.
4. Do some gentle yoga. Check out this list of poses you can do without leaving your bed!
5. Take a short nap.
6. Sit outside for a few moments and watch the clouds, the neighborhood, the birds…
7. Give yourself a gentle hand massage with a scented lotion.
8. Put on your favorite music and dance. or sing. or both.
9. Bake something that smells and tastes yummy.
10. Go to bed early.
12. Light a scented candle and just sit for a few minutes.
13. Take a bath with foamy scented bubble bath, or oils, or epsom salts. Or take a long hot shower.
14. Write in a journal.
15. Organize a drawer or closet in your house that’s been driving you crazy.
16. Do something crafty — draw, paint, make jewelry, color…
17. Work in your garden.
18. Read poetry (my faves: Mary Oliver, and Rumi)
19. Take a short walk around the block.
20. Play with your pets. Or nap with your pets. Or pet your pets.
21. Savor a yummy piece of dark chocolate.
22. Wake up when your house is quiet and watch the sunrise.
23. Do a jigsaw puzzle or a crossword puzzle.
24. Take 5 deep, calming breaths.
25. Drink a glass of water with lemon, lime, or cucumber in it. Pretend you’re at a spa.
26. Linger in bed for a few moments after your alarm goes off. Think of five things you’re thankful for.
27. Pop some popcorn and watch a favorite movie or TV show.
28. Make a vision board. Dream big!
29. Look through an old photo album or journal.
and, a very popular option among the friends I polled on Facebook…
30. Have a glass of wine.
Want more ideas?
My friend Susan has a great post that lists all the sumptuous self-care things she does when she’s feeling stressed — check it out!
This article from Psychology Today lists tons of self-care ideas by category.
You can find 80+ ideas for self-care on this list from the Self-Compassion Project.
And you can find 70 ideas on this list from Abundance Tapestry!
What would you add to the list?
Share your self-care faves in the comments below!
Latest posts by Sarah Rudell Beach (see all)
- How to Literally, Metaphorically, and Mindfully Survive the Cold - January 16, 2017
- Why You’re Not Finding Time For Yourself - January 9, 2017
- Loving and Kind New Year Wishes - January 2, 2017