We know self-care is important.
We’ve all heard that we need to put on our own oxygen masks first.
But self-care often gets pushed to the bottom of our priority list, if it even makes it on there in the first place.
I think part of the problem is that when people think of self-care, they think of things like massages. Which are awesome. But they are also expensive, and time-consuming.
Self-care can be short and sweet, simple and cheap.
2. Snuggle up under a warm fuzzy blanket and just sit. Daydream. Wonder. Think.
3. Savor a warm cup of your favorite tea or coffee.
4. Do some gentle yoga. Check out this list of poses you can do without leaving your bed!
5. Take a short nap.
6. Sit outside for a few moments and watch the clouds, the neighborhood, the birds…
7. Give yourself a gentle hand massage with a scented lotion.
8. Put on your favorite music and dance. or sing. or both.
9. Bake something that smells and tastes yummy.
10. Go to bed early.
12. Light a scented candle and just sit for a few minutes.
13. Take a bath with foamy scented bubble bath, or oils, or epsom salts. Or take a long hot shower.
14. Write in a journal.
15. Organize a drawer or closet in your house that’s been driving you crazy.
16. Do something crafty — draw, paint, make jewelry, color…
17. Work in your garden.
18. Read poetry (my faves: Mary Oliver, and Rumi)
19. Take a short walk around the block.
20. Play with your pets. Or nap with your pets. Or pet your pets.
21. Savor a yummy piece of dark chocolate.
22. Wake up when your house is quiet and watch the sunrise.
23. Do a jigsaw puzzle or a crossword puzzle.
24. Take 5 deep, calming breaths.
25. Drink a glass of water with lemon, lime, or cucumber in it. Pretend you’re at a spa.
26. Linger in bed for a few moments after your alarm goes off. Think of five things you’re thankful for.
27. Pop some popcorn and watch a favorite movie or TV show.
28. Make a vision board. Dream big!
29. Look through an old photo album or journal.
and, a very popular option among the friends I polled on Facebook…
30. Have a glass of wine.
Want more ideas?
My friend Susan has a great post that lists all the sumptuous self-care things she does when she’s feeling stressed — check it out!
This article from Psychology Today lists tons of self-care ideas by category.
You can find 80+ ideas for self-care on this list from the Self-Compassion Project.
And you can find 70 ideas on this list from Abundance Tapestry!
Latest posts by Sarah Rudell Beach (see all)
- The Most Important Self-Care: 10 Ways to Nurture Your Body - October 16, 2017
- The Day of Rest - October 9, 2017
- 10 Fun Activities That Teach Executive Functioning to Kids and Teens - October 2, 2017